11 Tips to Help You Stay Calm During a Divorce
Divorce can be one of the most difficult stresses an individual may ever experience. It can leave a person feeling sad, hurt, angry, confused, overwhelmed, and fearful of the future. This is especially true if the divorce is unwanted or unexpected. It is quite normal to feel a wide range of different emotions and it may seem as if your world has been turned upside down.
The good news is that it’s possible to lessen or minimize the impact of separation and divorce by taking a number of positive steps and actions. These may help you gain a sense of control over your life and improve your mood and outlook.
Here are some suggestions that may be helpful:
- Recognize that you may not be at your best for a while and give yourself a break.
- Allow yourself time to grieve and to feel your feelings, whatever they are. Know that this is a process that takes time and that everyone grieves differently.
- Utilize your social support network of friends and family. Talk to them about how you’re feeling. Find a divorce support group. Get engaged with other people.
- Avoid excessive isolation which may lead to greater feelings of loneliness or depression.
- Rediscover yourself. Engage in your favorite hobbies, take a class, try yoga, etc.
- Exercise can be very beneficial and it is a natural antidepressant. If you haven’t exercised before consult your physician first.
- Eat well and nurture your body. Avoid binging on sugar or junk food as a means of coping. Avoid relying on alcohol, drugs, caffeine or nicotine which can cause further problems.
- Maintain your sense of humor. It’s okay to laugh.
- Try and create new structure, routines, and schedules for yourself.
- If you feel that you’re getting depressed, anxious, or having difficulty sleeping or managing, seek professional counseling promptly. Many people benefit from this extra help.
- Do your best to maintain a positive outlook. Remember that “time is your friend” and that you will get through this and come out on the other side.